Thursday 5 March 2015

Days 3-4: Inverness - 2-3 March 2015


It was as we were travelling by train to Inverness that I began to feel really excited and as if I was really on holiday, as it was almost three years since I had last been up this way (hard to believe), when I had taken a trip with some classmates from uni. For me Inverness was the place furthest north I would visit on this trip, and the last bastion of 'commercial' life before the Highlands proper to the north and west, and home to the legendary Ross County football club (based in Dingwall) - possibly the subject of many a joke by the locals.

The cosy living area in Bazpackers Hostel.
We were to stay in Bazpackers Hostel in Inverness, which although strangely named is actually very cosy and welcoming, based in a Georgian townhouse with roaring coal fire, cosy conservatory and excellent views over the river and castle from our twin room upstairs. We arrived to very sunny and mild conditions, so while Mum had a rest I went out for a wander and to do a few shops, returning with some whisky-flavoured fudge from Orkney and two bottles of beer from a local Scottish brewery in the Cairngorm mountains. By the time I returned to our accommodation the weather had changed completely and it had begun to snow!

Scottish Saltire flag on Inverness castle
We ate that night in the Castle Tavern restaurant right next to the hostel, where I thoroughly enjoyed neeps 'n tatties (potatoes and swede) topped with haggis in a whisky cream sauce. I also had a cheeky dram of whisky, chosen from the very useful whisky menu and served in a proper dram with ice and water - highly enjoyable. It was definitely my mission to take home a bottle of real Scottish single malt before I went home.

View from the room
By the time we got up the next day the snow had really started to come down and settled, making for some excellent photos. We walked (or rather slipped) into town for some lunch and proper shopping where I bought a real Scottish tartan scarf from a local mill and a Scots dictionary to impress my friends on my next visit! We had decided to eat in our lodgings this night and spend some quiet time in the cosy living areas of the hostel (rightly voted Inverness's best) before getting ready for our coach to Fort William the next day.

Inverness High Street
Link to days 5-6: http://travellingcyclist2k.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/days-5-6-fort-williammallaig-4-5-march.html

No comments:

Post a Comment